WIP: AMT/ERTL A-Wing Part 5

Not Abducted, Just Busy

It’s been a busy start to the New Year at work as I expected, and things have got a little busier this week with another project also for the end of January that I need to manage.  That’s pretty much wiped out my intended painting efforts for the next few weeks!

Todays the first day in a couple of weeks that I’ve had to actually get any painting done at all, although last week I did do a little cleaning up of the A-Wing panel line scribing to get it ready for painting.


No pictures of this step as it was pretty simple, but to get going I knew I needed a solid primer on this model as the plastic is a little strange and seems to more readily cause paint to run.  I used plasticine to mask the already painted parts (cockpit and laser cannons), before moving laying down a first coat of white.

For some reason I used my Vallejo white primer through my airbrush rather than my other, preferred stuff (I think I just grabbed the first airbrush white primer bottle I could find!), and this didn’t go on quite as well as the other.  Oh well, it’s just the first primer coat to enable me to start.

I did this days ago, but priming a model is hardly post worthy on its own!

I did find my airbrush clogged a lot, and it was hard to see where I’d laid the paint down – bit of a paint as white on white was difficult to see.  All in all I got a little frustrated with it.

As I’d got the airbrush set up, I decided to bite the bullet and also prime a couple of old half painted Orks from a few years back.  I didn’t bother stripping the paint from them, as they serve just to be quick “change of pace” models to keep me going when I want to do something a little different.


One of the things I wanted to try with this model that I’ve never experimented with before was to use the “pre-shading” technique.  This is simply a technique used to add subtle shading to recesses such as panel lines, that you then paint over with the final coat.

I broke out the airbrush this morning, and traced all the panel lines, and a few general recessed areas.  This was really messy as I’ve never before tried to do anything other than basecoat with an airbrush, and I found I had to try different distances, pressures and air to paint ratios to get a reasonable affect.  In some cases I blasted out way to much paint, in other cases, I wasn’t very accurate with where the paint went – however with pre-shading this isn’t actually to big a deal, as really you don’t want it too neat and too uniform.

I also discovered that I could remove the end cap of my airbrush to expose the needle (previously when I tried this, I was actually removing a key bit to atomise the spray – not sure what it’s called, possibly the nozzle?!).  This allowed me to get in closer, and to more easily clean the needle tip when paint started drying.

I didn’t take any photos of the pre-shading itself, I just pushed on with the next phase.

Laying Down a Basecoat

Once the pre-shade had dried, I loaded up the airbrush with white, and started misting on very thin layers of white across the whole model.  Although I intend to paint the red markings in the same was as from the movie, I didn’t bother masking the red areas at this stage.

I think maybe another couple of lays need to be applied in places, and I then I’ll need to mask the white areas off before painting the red markings.

Hopefully it won’t be another two weeks before I get back to it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.