The minotaur has now reached the point that it’s becoming a little bit of a grind, so I’m trying to paint in short bursts to stop myself rushing and pushing to completion…
I haven’t really done the painting I’d hoped to in my first week off, however, tonight I took the chance to block in the remaining areas of skin on the minotaur…
As I’m off for a fortnight, I wanted to take advantage of the free time to move some hobby projects along. As I’m focusing on technique and painting skill improvement with the minotaur, I wanted to have another project on the go that meant I could be a little looser with my approach, and be a little less worried about accuracy and detail. The perfect subject for this would be some terrain / scenery, where a looser style would actually work better for my purposes…
As per the last few days, I had a short 30-odd minute painting session after work between World Cup football matches.
Today’s focus was on adding some highlights to the minotaurs left bicep, particularly working on the inner side that faces the front of the model at this point.
A similar theme to the past couple of days; painting time limited due to the distraction of the World Cup, but where possible I’ve put in a few minutes on the flesh of the minotaur I’ve been working on…
Just a few minutes of painting some highlights…
Millennium Falcon – A Build at Work
Last year, I spent a portion of my lunch hour each day building the Metal Earth Star Wars models, rather than browsing the internet, (or worse continuing working!), but quickly completed all of those that I liked and were available. This left a bit of a hole in my day, and I wanted something to fill the gap. I’d always fancied building models during my lunch hour, but have been put off by considering the hassle of transporting the model or tools back and forth from work.
I had been collecting the Bandai Vehicle Model series (or “stockpiling” might be a better term) for a while now, and they seem particularly suited to lunchtime building as the models are small, simple and quick to create.
I’ve already built and completed one of the series, Poe Dameron’s X-Wing which I thought was good fun and I was impressed at how well it went together. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the inclusion of stickers over decals, but given it’s size, I can sort of understand why they aren’t included.
The next one I fancied building was the Millennium Falcon. This is my absolute favourite movie model without a shadow of a doubt – I have numerous versions of model kits to build of this ship, including two vehicle model series boxes (yes, I bought a duplicate). Given I had two, the “hobby fear” wasn’t going to hold me back from starting one.
On Sunday morning, I spent an hour or so working on the skin on the belly and chest of the Minotaur, focusing on some highlights.
With the A-Wing finally complete, and having been able to get the motivation to complete the Evil Sunz Ork boyz, it’s time to choose and work on a new model.
This time, I decided on a change of pace, and having searched through boxes and boxes of models, I spotted an old GW metal Minotaur that I thought might be good fun.
For the fourth day in a row, I’ve managed at least an hour of hobby time in the evening. It’s now become part of my routine, and it’s becoming quite therapeutic; bang on some youtube videos, set things up, do some painting, then clear it down. No more leaving the wet palette set up, and no making excuses!
I may not blog every day, or update my CMON WIP thread daily, but that’s more to do with preferring to spend time painting, and hobby time over taking pictures and writing about it. I’ve also given up on being too transcribed with describing the paints used, as it was all getting a little too much documentation and note taking, and I’m enjoying it a lot more not worrying about keeping track of everything. I suspect I will regret this however when I start to paint the next batch!
I’ve also decided to do away with the “Read More” links on the blog. I think it’s more fun to see the pictures straight away, and besides, who wants to click when you don’t have to.
What’s Been Done?
Worked on highlights and cleaning bits up, and when I look at all of the together, I’m really happy with them. Up close and personal shows the usual flaws, but I think I’m getting in the swing of things.
Also added an undercoat layer on the bases, which are separate (they’ll be removed from their current bases once I’m done with them), and pinned the heads onto paperclips on corks ready to start them.
Although I still want to do far more on the guns, the straps, and clean up the transitions on the red armour, I’m also going to start progressing the faces, just because it’ll help with motivation.
I’m enjoying the batch painting process, though five at a time may be a bit of a push for me personally, but I quite like the methodical repetition, it’s almost a bit like meditation!
Enough rambling, and on to the photos:
And finally, the mob together…
And there we are!