Today’s post is going to show a couple of days progress on the dwarf slayer that I’ve made. A few distractions came my way towards the end of this week, so I’ve only really had a good crack at moving things forwards today.
I took today as holiday from work to get a few jobs done today, fully intending to fit in a good long session of painting too. My plans were heavily jeopardised by being awoken in the early hours by a mouse in my bedroom. This little nightmare has been popping up for a few months now, and although it went quiet for quit a few weeks, it had been back with a vengeance this week. Lack of sleep is a nightmare. It all came to a head in the early hours of this morning where I caught the critter in a reebok trainer, and managed to transfer him into a plastic container (with air holes). After going back to bed for a bit, I then took the opportunity to set him free in a nearby field.
After releasing the rodent, I popped to town to do some jobs, bought a set of new models and I also took in the Thor: Ragnorok movie. I took a while to get into it (there was something about the movie early on that didn’t feel quite right – perhaps it seemed like it was trying to be too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy with all the jokes), but half an hour in I was hooked and really enjoying it.
Anyway I’ve distracted myself here haven’t I, so I should get back on topic.
Initial Face Layering
My most recent efforts have been trying to focus on the Dwarf Slayer’s face. I’m trying to push myself a little with this one, but I’m finding my technique isn’t quite there yet to be too clever. I’ve been back and forward over a few sections of the face to try and get an effect I like, and I’ve had limited joy with glazes of different colours that I was intending to add some visual interest.
By around Thursday I’d added a reasonable amount of contrast, even if it didn’t show up in photos very well.
As I started with a mixed base tone, I applied the lighter shade as a highlight, and washed the darker shade into the recesses of the face. The shadows are a little too subtle here, though I did remember to paint the nose and lips this time!