Improving Pippin’s face, and progressing the base.
I’m much happier with Pippin’s face now. The highlights and shading is far subtler than it was yesterday, and I think it looks so much better. Generally speaking, I’m trying to go for greater levels of contrast, but on these more realistic scale models, I think the subtler approach works better. Given that the hobbit models are so tiny, I don’t think I’ve got the skills to do too much with them!
The base was worked on with a nice high contrast dry brush. Where some of the sand dislodged and the flat base was revealed, rather than paint with the same colour, or reapplying the sand, I decided to try something a little different, by trying to make it look like a puddle of water.
I love the look of water and rain, but it’s not something that I’ve ever tried to apply or reproduce on a miniature before. However a deep blue with a touch of green and a layer of gloss varnish quite quickly adds to the effect.
It’s not quite as interesting in the photographs as it is in real life, and it will need a number of additional gloss varnish layers to build up the reflectiveness and depth, but I think it’s interesting as far as effects go!