WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 3

Hobby Time

Today’s post is going to show a couple of days progress on the dwarf slayer that I’ve made.  A few distractions came my way towards the end of this week, so I’ve only really had a good crack at moving things forwards today.

I took today as holiday from work to get a few jobs done today, fully intending to fit in a good long session of painting too.  My plans were heavily jeopardised by being awoken in the early hours by a mouse in my bedroom.  This little nightmare has been popping up for a few months now, and although it went quiet for quit a few weeks, it had been back with a vengeance this week.  Lack of sleep is a nightmare.  It all came to a head in the early hours of this morning where I caught the critter in a reebok trainer, and managed to transfer him into a plastic container (with air holes).  After going back to bed for a bit, I then took the opportunity to set him free in a nearby field.

After releasing the rodent, I popped to town to do some jobs, bought a set of new models and I also took in the Thor: Ragnorok movie.  I took a while to get into it (there was something about the movie early on that didn’t feel quite right – perhaps it seemed like it was trying to be too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy with all the jokes), but half an hour in I was hooked and really enjoying it.

Anyway I’ve distracted myself here haven’t I, so I should get back on topic.

Initial Face Layering

My most recent efforts have been trying to focus on the Dwarf Slayer’s face.  I’m trying to push myself a little with this one, but I’m finding my technique isn’t quite there yet to be too clever.  I’ve been back and forward over a few sections of the face to try and get an effect I like, and I’ve had limited joy with glazes of different colours that I was intending to add some visual interest.

By around Thursday I’d added a reasonable amount of contrast, even if it didn’t show up in photos very well.

First Face Highlights

As I started with a mixed base tone, I applied the lighter shade as a highlight, and washed the darker shade into the recesses of the face.  The shadows are a little too subtle here, though I did remember to paint the nose and lips this time!

Continue reading “WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 3”

WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 2

Basecoating Skin

I’ve not got too much to show for my efforts today, as I spent the morning looking for tutorials and suggestions for painting dwarf skin.  I found a really brilliant tutorial from a few years ago by Darren Lathem on his blog over at http://razzaminipainting.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/dwarf-skin-tutorial.html

The paint guide referencing the old Citadel colours, so I spent some time listing alternative colours I could use that I have for the various stages.

On a non-dwarf related topic, I did a little work on the zombicide zombie I posted previously, all effort on the base.  I filed and smoothed the edge (which had like an odd horizontal mold line), and added a layer of sand over the top of the citadel texture paint it previously had.  It’s a little too course to look like a road base like I intended originally, so I may just now do it as a dirty, muddy field with a few clumps of grass on this one.

Also, having learned from being stuck for a day or two after finishing my last model, I thought I’d strip a few other old models for when this ones done.  They probably aren’t going to be the ones I specifically work on next, but I think if I regularly strip old miniatures, I’ll have something that interests me to work on prepared.  Those stripped last night:

  • an old 40k Bad Moon Ork Warboss
  • a shadow grey base coated Inquisitor Coteaz
  • the classic old school Durthu the Treeman

The Ork Warboss and Treeman are particularly old models, but are full of character.  The paint on these must have been very think as the toothbrush used to clear off the paint is an horrific mess!

This afternoon I started on the Dwarf Slayer in earnest, laying down the basecoat for the skin.  Using a 50:50 mix of Bugmans Glow and Doombull Brown, watered down to a reasonable consistency, I applied a couple of thin layers to all the skin areas.  Or at least I thought to all the skin…

Flesh base coated, but not the nose!?!

Continue reading “WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 2”

WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 1

Next Up on the Painting Table

After completing the Mordor Orc, I’ve been searching for the next model to paint.  After painting quite muted colours, mostly shades of brown, I felt like going for something a little different.

Digging the various storage crates of models without finding anything that was particularly grabbing my interest, I finally stumbled upon an old GW Dwarf Slayer.  He was pretty beat up, and had a terrible old half paint job – with a particularly awful skin tone shaded with armour wash,  which means first steps was a bath in Dettol! Continue reading “WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 1”