Painting in Acrylics: “Big Cats – Tiger” – Part 2

Tonight I worked on painting in the background.  In previous paintings I’ve added the background at the end, and always ended up with quite solid blocks of colour; I wanted to try something a little different this time.

I wanted to get a feeling of depth of field by having a slightly out of focus appearance to the background.  To achieve this, I used a kind of “dabbed” approach to applying the paint.  Intentionally mixing slight variations of tone to give the impression of vegetation.

I also started working on some of the tiger fur.  I wasn’t particularly happy with the initial colour mix, it’s a little green in the darker shadowed areas, which is a result of mixing black into the yellow and orange I’d started with.  I suspect going forward I need to mix in a brown instead to darken the fur.