WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 7

New Tricks

Not much progress to talk about today, I need to make sure I don’t lose too much momentum, but work and life gets in the way sometimes.

I decided to push myself a little on this one, but trying to do a bit of freehand wood grain on the axe hafts.  This isn’t something I’ve tried before, and is something I’m a little apprehensive of doing – I think that’s a good thing though!

I added a smooth(ish) basecoat of a dark brown on both axe hafts, and then began working on the one by adding in a few thin lines of a lighter shade.  I’ve also got as far as adding the first couple of highlights to this to add some more definition.  It’s not my cleanest work so far, but it’s a start to something new.

A pre-warning with this one, the photos are horrific.  I’ve had a real difficulty getting a good picture in daylight!  After figuring out some reasonable settings for shooting in the darker evenings with the lights in my hobby room, I’ve had to adjust the levels in GIMP to bring the overexposed picture down to something passable, but it’s still not right.  I didn’t have the time this morning to re-take them, so I’ve had to say “that’ll do”|

Front View – Axe Haft Wood Grain

It’s really hard to see the wood grain on most of the axe haft on the left (the dwarfs right axe), due to the pictures, but hopefully you can see what I’m starting to go for.


I decided I wanted to do blue and white stripes on the trousers of my dwarf.  Once again, I’ve never tried to paint stripes (though it’s just really straighter lines than the wood grain technically), but something else I’ve realised is I’ve never really painted something intended to be white either! So this is really quite a stretch for me.

As I’d used a zenithal black-grey-white undercoat, I had hoped I’d be able to just add some pure white highlights and be good, so that’s what I started with, but unfortunately that was a bit of a naive approach.  After laying down a little white, and not being happy, I mixed in some grey, and tried to glaze them together.  This worked a little, but the layers were quite distinct, so I felt I needed to flatten this down a little with a diluted nuln oil wash.  This looked better, but still needs work.  I’m thinking adding some yellow / brown into the shadows would make the colour a little warmer and make things a little more interesting.  Where I’m at so far:

Back View – White Trousers

As you can probably see, its OK, but needs work and some variation in colour would help I think.

I’ve included the side on photos, but there’s not really a lot of progress shown on these.


Thanks for looking folks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.