WIP: Old School Dwarf Slayer Part 2

Basecoating Skin

I’ve not got too much to show for my efforts today, as I spent the morning looking for tutorials and suggestions for painting dwarf skin.  I found a really brilliant tutorial from a few years ago by Darren Lathem on his blog over at http://razzaminipainting.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/dwarf-skin-tutorial.html

The paint guide referencing the old Citadel colours, so I spent some time listing alternative colours I could use that I have for the various stages.

On a non-dwarf related topic, I did a little work on the zombicide zombie I posted previously, all effort on the base.  I filed and smoothed the edge (which had like an odd horizontal mold line), and added a layer of sand over the top of the citadel texture paint it previously had.  It’s a little too course to look like a road base like I intended originally, so I may just now do it as a dirty, muddy field with a few clumps of grass on this one.

Also, having learned from being stuck for a day or two after finishing my last model, I thought I’d strip a few other old models for when this ones done.  They probably aren’t going to be the ones I specifically work on next, but I think if I regularly strip old miniatures, I’ll have something that interests me to work on prepared.  Those stripped last night:

  • an old 40k Bad Moon Ork Warboss
  • a shadow grey base coated Inquisitor Coteaz
  • the classic old school Durthu the Treeman

The Ork Warboss and Treeman are particularly old models, but are full of character.  The paint on these must have been very think as the toothbrush used to clear off the paint is an horrific mess!

This afternoon I started on the Dwarf Slayer in earnest, laying down the basecoat for the skin.  Using a 50:50 mix of Bugmans Glow and Doombull Brown, watered down to a reasonable consistency, I applied a couple of thin layers to all the skin areas.  Or at least I thought to all the skin…

Flesh base coated, but not the nose!?!

How on earth does someone manage to paint a face, but leave the nose?  I didn’t even notice whilst taking the photos, nor when putting the photos on my computer, nor when emailing the photos to myself!  It was only finally after checking them out on my iPad to decide which I should use (lit via lamp, or just via daylight) that I realised I’d missed it completely!  It’s not so though this particular model has a small nose either!

I’m aiming to really push myself with this one and go for a ruddy complexion, with some colour variation with different glazes to bring some visual interest.  Perhaps this is a bit ambition given it looks like I’m struggling to even paint all the models features!

I’m also aiming to take photos from multiple angles on this one, so that I make sure that I don’t just pour all the attention on to one view.  I think this model is a good choice for multi-view photos because the front is very much dominated by the models face and beard, whereas the back is skin and cloth trousers.

One side…

The side view quite nicely shows how the airbrush zenithal undercoating works better than than my undercoat photos.  I may try some monochrome zombicide models using just this technique, which I’ve seen elsewhere and fancy replicating.

And the other

I actually think these photos are handy for referencing where I should place highlights and shadows in various places for the final model.

And the back

With it being Sunday, my afternoon is taken up with watching football (I’m typing this whilst watching the Everton vs Arsenal game), but hopefully at some point I’ll get the brush out later again and put some basecoat on the dwarfs nose.  Advantages of using a wet palette is the paint will still be wet so there’s not really a worry of the tone of the basecoat being any different.

Thanks for visiting,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.