Ork Boyz from 2013

Basic Black Reach Orc Boyz

These were the almost the last miniatures I completed, painted from back in 2013.  I’m putting them up here firstly so I have some content, but secondly because really I think it’s always important to have a starting point to look back at, even if you’re not that happy with the results.

Even though it was a number of years ago, I wrote down details of the process so I could remember.

I had bought the Assault on Black Reach box set as I thought it was a good way to get some cheap practice models, and I briefly started to work on them.

Although I don’t have any intention of building “armies” (I have no interest in playing the games, and even if I did I don’t know anyone who does), but I do like the idea of using bulk painting to practice techniques without having to consider colour choices.

The idea initially was to paint one guy to get the colour scheme down as an experimental single model…

Ork Boy
The first Ork boy painted – testing the scheme

Once the first was complete, I then painted the second individually too.  This was to get a good idea of the order of painting now that I’d decided upon colours and layers…

Ork Boy
Another Ork Boy

With the second complete, I moved on to completing the remainder of the group of 5 I was working on, batch painting them following the scheme and order I’d figured out with the previous two guys…

Ork Boy
Another Ork Boy
Ork Boy
Another Ork Boy
Ork Boy
Another Ork Boy

I’m not going to bother detailing how these guys were painted, but the effect I was trying to achieve was reddy brown leather, yellow spot colour and a strong saturated green skin tone.  Looking at them now, I think the base needs more contrast, and the overall effect of the model is a little too dark.

This was also painted before I discovered dropper bottles and wet palettes so my paint was a little thick, back then I didn’t really mix colours either, so my layers look quite stark.

And yes, for anyone wondering, that is a tea towel as a background to the photo!  I use this for cleaning brushes and mopping up the inevitable mess I make, so it’s always lying around wherever I paint and was to hand when I decided to take a couple of pictures.

I’d never successfully managed to use the “macro” function on my 10-year old digital camera before, so apologies if the quality isn’t great.  Photography is not something I have any skill at – unless making even the most beautiful subject look hideous is a skill!

Thanks for visiting,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.