After a day of no painting on Wednesday, I popped into the hobbice (hobby / office), and took a look at where I had got to with the Blood Claw. Although I’d only changed the panel lines to blue on the body, I already preferred how it looked, and was feeling happier with the model.
Started the morning wrestling with airbrush clogs, followed by clumsily applies shadows with a questionable colour choice. I made up a 50:50 mix of Naggaroth Night and The Fang with a few drops of airbrush thinner, and applied this to some choice areas. And by choice area, I mean splattering and spidering everywhere.
This is my own fault, too thin paint, too much paint at too high a pressure and too close to the model. Yep, needless to say I wasn’t very happy.
Applies the undercoat via airbrush, using my usual zenithal highlighting approach. As I’ve kept the model I’m sub assemblies, I made a conscious decision over where the light source was going to be and how the model would go together to get the light in the correct places.
I’ve not taken any work in progress shots at this stage, as there’s nothing too interesting about it.
So I’ve now reached ten separate posts relating to one dwarf model. Talk about a slow painter! Shame the results don’t seem to match the time spent haha
Truth is I’m actually quite happy with how this one is progressing. I’m learning a whole host of new things, and I’ve certainly tried a lot more techniques than I have previously. Although I’d like to paint more quickly, at the moment I’m just trying to paint (and post) regularly – so as I don’t have a great deal of painting time, I’d rather make sure I do a little bit as often as I can.
I’ve had a busy week, unfortunately not with the brush. As a Product Owner / Project Manager, sprint change-over week can be a little hectic, particularly if you have a few projects ongoing and you need to demo work to customers. Although it doesn’t culminate in working additional hours, it’s just hard to keep motivation to hobby when you’ve had a heavy day and you want to commit to doing fitness training in the evenings too.
Now for Progress
Although I’ve been busy, I did still manage to get a little done over the past couple of days – I’ve just preferred to paint over taking photos of progress and posting.
All of the work has been Dwarf Slayer related, and mainly confined to working on the remaining axe-haft, and getting a start on the axe-heads. I’m a little surprised at how messy my metallic painting has been, I had thought this would be the quicker and easier part!
Worked a little more on the wood grain this morning. Firstly applied a wash of Agrax Earthshade to tone down what I’d done previously. Once dried, I then highlighted up again with diluted Skrag Brown and then Deathclaw Brown. Both paints were still in their original GW pots, so some transferring into dropper bottles was necessary, which always eats into painting time.
Today I fiddled with my camera settings after yesterdays horrific photographs, and they’ve come out better, so hopefully the effects are easier to see:
The front view (where I started) doesn’t look quite right to my eyes yet, but it’s certainly starting to move forward, and looks far better than the plain brown on the right axe haft, so I’m pleased with the decision to push on and attempt the effect.
Not much progress to talk about today, I need to make sure I don’t lose too much momentum, but work and life gets in the way sometimes.
I decided to push myself a little on this one, but trying to do a bit of freehand wood grain on the axe hafts. This isn’t something I’ve tried before, and is something I’m a little apprehensive of doing – I think that’s a good thing though!
I added a smooth(ish) basecoat of a dark brown on both axe hafts, and then began working on the one by adding in a few thin lines of a lighter shade. I’ve also got as far as adding the first couple of highlights to this to add some more definition. It’s not my cleanest work so far, but it’s a start to something new.
A pre-warning with this one, the photos are horrific. I’ve had a real difficulty getting a good picture in daylight! After figuring out some reasonable settings for shooting in the darker evenings with the lights in my hobby room, I’ve had to adjust the levels in GIMP to bring the overexposed picture down to something passable, but it’s still not right. I didn’t have the time this morning to re-take them, so I’ve had to say “that’ll do”|
It’s really hard to see the wood grain on most of the axe haft on the left (the dwarfs right axe), due to the pictures, but hopefully you can see what I’m starting to go for.
I didn’t post yesterday, but I did paint. I’m really enjoying the process on the Dwarf Slayer, and I think I’m learning a lot.
With most of the flesh parts “done”, other than some skin visible through gaps in the beard, I moved on to working on to highlighting the boots and pouches, and started on the wrist bracelets. The boots, pouches and one of the wrist bracelets are the same grey-brown leather. The highlights a touch rough, I find this particular colour difficult as it comes out very, very chalky. I’m going to do some extra mixes to try and even things out, and will probably glaze these on to make it smoother and cleaner.
The other wrist bracelets were started, one in gold, and the other blue. I really like the blue, it’s come out quite nicely.