This morning, I decided to put some finishing touches to my second Mordor Orc. I haven’t experimented with any new techniques on this model, but instead tried to focus on choosing some more muted colour choices, as I felt it suited the subject influenced by the more realistic low-fantasy tone of the Lord of the Rings movies.
Some minor progress on the Mordor Orc tonight – mostly focused on some simple shading and highlights.
Where Have I Been?
The last few weeks at work have been manic, and I’ve just not had the time, nor the inclination to paint. That coupled with a few weeks of wanting to do other things (movies, theatre and trips), have seen me shift priorities, and I’ve very much enjoyed spending time with people over the more solitary hobby that painting tends to be for me.
Also, to be frank, I’d become a little bored of painting the Star Wars A-Wing after some quite irritating airbrush bleed, I’d lost all motivation. I’d even stopped looking at hobby websites for interest, I’d quite literally lost any interest I had. I think I was feeling a little depressed with everything, so I took a break from hobbies for a bit.
However, I’m now back, and trying to get back into things, and I decided to crack on with working on a fresh model to see if I could get my interest back… so I grabbed an undercoated Mordor Orc, and thought I’d give him a spin.
FINISHED: Blood Claw
Although really I could have cleaned up this one a little more, particularly on the Wolf Tail, I really wanted to say I’d completed this model before the end of the year.
I doubt I’ll get much painting done tomorrow or Sunday, so today was really the last chance to push him over the line.
Attempting New Techniques
Not much painting time this week, but this weekend I did get a chance to move the Blood Claw along, taking the opportunity to try out a few more techniques I’ve note attempted before.
I also stuck him together at the end of the painting session, as now seemed to be as good a time as any.
Experimenting with Glazes and Layering
Decided to experiment a little with glazing on the Blood Claw. The original idea was to lay down basecoats and transitions with the airbrush, but I found it looked “too airbrushed” and crude, so by the time I broke out the brush, I couldn’t resist trying to glaze and layer.
Little time for hobbying this weekend, and with Wolves playing on TV last night, I wasn’t able to get the brushes and paints out until this evening, and even then after catching up with the Walking Dead. Finished work late again, which did not help either!
Limited hobby time this weekend; I didn’t get a chance to do anything until Sunday.
Colour Scheme Mind Change
After a day of no painting on Wednesday, I popped into the hobbice (hobby / office), and took a look at where I had got to with the Blood Claw. Although I’d only changed the panel lines to blue on the body, I already preferred how it looked, and was feeling happier with the model.
Worked on some highlighting the armour.
I’m not too pleased with tonight’s work, so I’m going to make this short and sweet…